A request for License Agreement Release (LAR) is required after a student has checked in to their room space.
Students submitting this request are petitioning a release from the University Housing License Agreement prior to the end of the academic year in accordance to approved or extenuating circumstances after check-in.
The License Agreement is for the entirety of the academic year for your housing assignment for the full academic year (academic year plus summer for Family Housing). The License Agreement contains the requirements, terms and conditions of your license to reside in on-campus housing. Once signed, a student is responsible for the terms of this agreement. Release from the License Agreements are not automatic and should be considered denied until an official approval is received.
Prior to submitting a request for a License Agreement Release, students are expected to meet with their Community Director to discuss their change in circumstances. The Community Director can assist students with navigating the LAR process. After meeting with hall staff, requests for release from the University Housing License Agreement must be submitted through the ASU My Housing online portal.
- Student is to complete an official check-out and have a submitted License Agreement Release by 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 30, 2023 in order to be considered for release with minimal financial impact on the student.
- By 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 30, 2023, students who have checked out of their space and have an approved request will be charged a proration of housing and dining charges for the Fall 2021 semester in addition to a $500 cancellation fee; student will not be charged housing and dining expenses for the Spring 2024 semester.
- Between Sept. 1, 2023 and the official University Tuition & Fees Refund Deadline for Spring 2024 Session C (see Tuition and Billing Calendar), students may still be considered for a release. However, students who have checked out of their space and have an approved request will be responsible for the full Fall 2023 semester housing and meal plan charges in addition to a $500 cancellation fee.
- Between Jan. 6, 2024 and the official University Tuition & Fees Refund Deadline for Spring 2024 Session C (see Tuition and Billing Calendar), students may still continue to be considered for a release. However, students who have checked out of their space and have an approved request will be charged a proration for housing and dining charges for the Spring 2024 semester in addition to a $500 cancellation fee.
- After the official University Tuition & Fees Refund Deadline for Spring 2024 Session C (see Tuition and Billing Calendar) has passed, students may still continue to be considered for a release. However, students who have checked out of their space and have an approved request will be responsible for the full Spring 2024 semester housing and meal plan charges in addition to a $500 cancellation fee.
Please note, for residents of Greek Leadership Village: Any LAR must be approved by both ASU and the students' Fraternity/Sorority before being effective. Students should contact their National Organization, Housing Corporation/Advisory Board and/or the Chapter Leadership (President, House Manager, Advisor) to request to be released from their housing obligation.
Document Requirements for LAR Requests
All required and supportive documentation for an LAR Request must be submitted at time of request. If sufficient documentation is not submitted, the LAR Request will remain in denied status.
Approved LAR Circumstances
- Graduation: No document requirements
- Withdrawal or a leave of absence from the university: No document requirements
- Study Abroad/Internship: Requires Study Abroad/Internship approval letter
- Military Duty Activation: Requires Military Duty Activation letter
On a case-by-case basis, LAR Requests are reviewed for extenuating circumstances occurring after signing the housing license agreement. Supportive documentation is required for requesting an extenuating circumstance review. A significant medical or financial hardship that has occurred since the date of signing the License Agreement will only be reviewed if sufficient documentation demonstrating the recent hardship is included. LAR Requests without documentation will be denied.
In the event the University suggests, encourages, or requires students to vacate the residence halls on the advisement, recommendation or requirement of federal, state and/or local authorities, the University may establish LAR requirements and processes in response to such circumstances. The University will determine the amount, if any, of housing and meal plan adjustments, credits, or refunds. The University may also extend the deadline for such adjustments, credits, or refunds beyond the normally established deadline.
If you are having roommate conflicts and/or your situation could be improved with a room/house change, it is critical that you reach out to your professional hall staff to help you resolve your situation. Hall staff details can be found on the “staff” tab of the webpage for your residence hall. LAR Requests for these reasons are not eligible for review if hall staff can accommodate your situation.
Extenuating circumstances eligible for a petition for LAR:
- Medical Petition for Release*: Requires the 2023-2024 Medical Petition for Release form
- Financial Hardship**: Requires the 2023-2024 Financial Hardship Questionnaire form
*Petition for LAR based on Medical Petition for Release require current documentation of the student’s medical condition(s) from a licensed clinical professional or health care provider in the United States thoroughly familiar with the student’s condition(s).
**Petition for LAR based on Financial Hardship must include documentation from the ASU Financial Aid office that states a student’s exhaustion of all available forms of aid and estimated family contribution.
**Petition for LAR will not be approved for financial need based solely on the availability of alternative off-campus housing in the absence of compelling financial need.
Important information about your LAR Request
- LAR Request is essential if you are leaving University Housing for any reason; including study abroad, transfer or withdrawal from the University.
- Submitting an LAR does NOT automatically cancel your housing nor does it guarantee that the request for release will be approved. LARs are subject to verification.
- You will be notified if your request for License Agreement Release has been approved, conditionally approved, denied, requires further documentation or requires a meeting with a university administrator within 15 business days of receipt of completed request.
- Allow 3 to 4 weeks processing time after official approval and student checkout for any adjustments to the student account at Arizona State University.
- Per approved LAR, charges are re-calculated based on the License Agreement term (or the date of assignment, whichever is later) until the official date of checkout. Total room charges will not exceed the semester room rate.
- Per approved LAR, student is refunded a pro-rated amount for the meal plan based upon the following criteria:
- - M&G amount is prorated based on service days. Students are billed for the amount that is loaded on their M&G card.
- - Meal Charges are prorated based on service days that the plan was available to the student. This is based on a daily charge (total cost of the meal plan divided by number of service days), multiplied by the number of days the plan was available.
- The semester Support Services, Payment Plan, Residential Hall Association, and Residential College fees are non-refundable after check-in. If applicable, damage charges, lock change charges, and/or an improper check-out charge may be assessed.